In seek of a career in a company that offers challenging projects and offers an opportunity to learn new technologies and techniques
- Networking: Sound knowledge in various firewall and network switches along with Wi-Fi Infrastructure, not limited to Palo Alto Networks, ProCurve/Aruba, Meraki/Cisco gear.
- Hypervisors: VMware is my core however use Hyper-V and OpenStack.
- Operating Systems: Windows 7/10, Microsoft Server 2008/12/16 with Active Directory, Working Knowledge of Exchange 2010/13/16. Linux (RHEL/Centos) and FreeBSD.
- Web: NGINX and Apache, PHP, MySQL, WordPress and CDNs like Cloudflare and Akamai.
- Cloud: Google Compute and Amazon EC2, Digital Ocean.
- Security: Server/Desktop and Network.
- Storage: Working with iSCSI on NetApp, EqualLogic, VMware vSAN and budget minded Synology.
- Helpdesk: Desktop support, helping staff and Exec for issues that might come up.
- Backup Software: Symantec Backup Exec / Ghost and Veeam.
- Virtual Desktop via VMware Horizon View
- I can learn quickly.
- Works well in a team and on my own.
- I keep up to date with the latest tech trends.
- I use the tech in my daily life not just on the job.
2015 – Current Network Administrator @ Human Health Organization
Studio City, California.
Responsibilities: Hired as a consultant to implement Active Directory and File/Print Services for 75 users and fully setup the network by using ProCurve switches with Aruba wireless LAN and Palo Alto Networks firewall. This included segmenting the network with vlans and policies on the firewall. Setup Hosted Exchange on Rackspace and migrated users to their platform. Helping the staff with computer issues comes with this job.
I hold the responsibility for keeping our websites online without fail, being fully redundant front to back infrastructure, company websites are hit daily with attacks in a very volatile industry online.
My day to day is not limited to a specific duty as I’ve repaired an older arcade machine called Lunar Lander. I tested nearly all the resisters, caps and transistors until the arcade was working by replacing bad parts, also retrofitted LEDs.
Setup an Augmented Reality (AR) sandbox.
2005 – Current IT Consultant @ Consulting by Jeremy
All over the country.
I have been working as a consultant for many Datacenters as Remote Hands support and Installer in the Los Angeles area, duties include basic setup of routers and switches, server installs and overall health check of Racks or Cages. I maintain the core infrastructure and strive to provide 100% up time for clients listed below.
2010 –2015 System Administrator @ Los Angeles County Law Library
Hired as Help Desk / System Administrator, promoted to ‘System Administrator’ in 2011.
Downtown Los Angeles, California.
Responsibilities: Helpdesk support for Staff and Patrons of the Library, Maintain and Secure network while providing public Wi-Fi, Implemented Backup Solution for long term retention, Setup a VMware cluster for true failover and redundancy, Upgrade network for higher throughput. Implemented “eBranch” network and secured systems without onsite staff allowing Patrons to access Library resources. Manage the Active Directory and Internal Exchange servers, Migrated from Exchange 2003-to-2013
2007 –2010 System Engineer II @ VCA Antech
Hired as Desktop Support / System Administrator, promoted to System Engineer II in 2008
Santa Monica, California.
Responsibilities: Provide helpdesk support for Corporate users, Maintain VMware ESX and ESXi clusters, later to migrate whole stack to ESXi (30 servers in total). I would be the technical lead for all VMware projects. Provided support DevOps Linux systems. Mass rollout of HP ProLiant servers running ESXi to 500+ Animal Hospitals.
2005-2007 System Administrator / Network Engineer @ NR Software Systems / Xeex Communications
Los Angeles / El Segundo, California.
Company sold off in 2015 I believe
Responsibilities: Design and maintain colocation floor for optimal cooling and organization. Worked with customers for installs, configuration and upgrades of server hardware. Manage all assists coming and going from all 10 Datacenters. Monitor and maintain core routers and switches. Run new ethernet cables, cross connects and fiber for client access.
- Competitive Marksmanship
- HO Scale trains or any type really with the kiddo
- Wrenching on the truck
- Geeking out on new tech
I use my home as a ‘Home Lab’ testing out new and interesting hardware and software. A lot of what I run in the field is what I use at home as well. Many Raspberry Pi’s offer a low power solution for many projects. For the higher end I have a 2U Lenovo server connected to a Synology NAS and EqualLogic PS6100X with 10GB links. For my home router and switches I use Meraki (Cisco) and Aruba Networks for my Wi-Fi. If I can’t protect my home network with two kids I shouldn’t be protecting millions in assets and hardware.
- VMware ESXi
- 10GB switching
- Lenovo Server
- Samsung SmartThings Home Automation
- EqualLogic and Synology Storage